Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Regrets

Looking back, there are things I would have changed. Of course there are, you can’t live a life without regretting at least something.

I would, for example, have spent more time in my youth really enjoying being young. After all, you’re only young the once, and every opportunity to be carefree missed during that period is impossible to recapture later.

I’d also likely have proposed to Penelope. I knew she wanted me to, but I just didn’t think I was ready for marriage at the time. Still, looking back, she was the one for me. I’ve never met anyone I’ve loved as much since.

Certainly I’d have installed better security measures in my research facility, so that when eco-terrorists attempted to sabotage my lab they wouldn’t have unleashed my highly experimental bio-virus.

And, in hindsight, I’d have most definitely alerted the authorities sooner after the virus’ release rather than trying to contain it’s spread myself, so that they could at least have attempted to contain the outbreak before it hit pandemic levels.

I’d have worked harder to develop a cure, or at least a vaccine, along with the virus, so when it became clear that the outbreak was uncontainable I could have offered some sort of measure to protect the public health. Or I might even, if I were to be perfectly honest with myself, have thought twice before signing the government contract to research experimental bio-weaponry at all.

Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20.

But I suppose any time billions are killed due to your mistakes it makes you rethink the decisions you‘ve made. I try not to dwell unduly on the past, there’s nothing to do about it now, after all. But yes, there are certainly things I would have done very differently.

Especially regarding Penelope. When I think of her now, I miss her still…

1 comment:

  1. Fun stories, but please get a grip on its vs. it's. :-)

    ReplyDelete